We all have felt helpless when a family member or a loved one fell sick due to a heart issue. Instead of feeling hopeless, we can make a change and learn a life skill to help save someone’s life. Many reputed institutes offer online CPR course certifications. One such reliable institute is the American HealthCare Academy which offers accredited courses which will help you in the workplace. This article looks into the different situations that need CPR and the skills you need to help someone.
6 skills you need to know as a lay responder
Did you know that about 54 percent of Americans claim to know CPR? Out of which only one in six individuals can administer the technique appropriately. This only goes to show that every individual requires practice. As a lay responder with no background in healthcare, it is essential to have a diverse set of skills to help save lives. Here are six essential skills that every lay responder should possess.
- CPR: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation method helps you revive a patient. If you register for this course, it will also teach you how to check if the patient is breathing and how to take a pulse. However, the most crucial thing is to step forward and help in times of an emergency.
- Bleeding: You can get injured anytime, and losing blood is not beneficial for the body. It is crucial to know the treatment for cuts and wounds.
- Choking: Every lay responder must learn the Heimlich maneuver to prevent children and adults from choking. Timely help will ensure the individual does not go into cardiac arrest.
- Head Trauma: You never know what incident leads to a person experiencing head trauma. If a person falls and hits his head, as a lay responder you will be able to check for head trauma. Your minute observations and skills could prevent a person from lifelong damage.
- Sprains: When you have an older person in your care, injuries like sprains can be a frequent affair. The knowledge of R.I.C.E. to assist a patient with a sprain can be useful.
- Seizures: A seizure can happen anytime, anywhere without prior warning. A person can get an episode while preparing morning breakfast or while driving. It is crucial to learn how to help a person during a seizure to save a life.
Situations that require CPR
Many people feel they do not need to learn CPR as they will never need it. But does anyone know when a situation will come knocking at the door? Keep reading on and see the different situations where learning CPR will come handy.
Cardiac Arrest: The technique of CPR helps bring round the blood flow in the body that stops during a cardiac arrest. Timely CPR will ensure proper breathing and prevent brain damage.
Drowning: In the case of a drowning accident, the person’s lungs fill with water and oxygen is not sent to the blood. It damages the functioning of the heart and causes cardiac arrest. It is essential to take the drowning person out of the water and start CPR.
Physical Stress: Any kind of over-exertion is harmful to the body. This results in the disruption of the nerves leading to cardiac arrest. Make sure you watch out for signs of cardiac arrest because you never know when there could be an emergency.
Choking: While performing the Heimlich maneuver on a choking patient, you may realize the patient is going into cardiac arrest. This occurs due to a lack of oxygen, which can result in immediate death. A lay responder who is well-versed with CPR and the Heimlich maneuver will know how to clear the person’s airway and save them.
How to get an online CPR certification
Taking an online CPR certification helps you upskill and learn the course at your own pace. You can read the points below before you select the right course from the right institution.
- Search for institutes that offer online CPR-certified courses. Then, narrow your search to organizations that provide OSHA and AHA guidelines for their courses. Compare the course offerings and ensure they provide a valid certification at the end of the course.
- A valid CPR course will provide a two-year validity. Read the testimonials to get an idea if the institute is excellent. Get in touch with alums and discuss the in-depth details.
- Find out if the institute will provide study material and live classes. It will give you the best of both worlds. Ensure you check for flexible payment options, this way, you do not waste your money.
Taking a CPR course will help you rest easy knowing you can take care of your family. It will give you the confidence to save a life. Selecting a course from the right institution will help you build a strong foundation. When you choose to learn from the American HealthCare Academy, it ensures you complete the course with the knowledge of life-saving skills. Register on the AHCA website and find out more about the courses.